[GTALUG] Share your ~/.vimrc file (was Vim talk slides posted)

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:29:03 UTC 2016

On Thu 14 Jan 2016 14:02 -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> On 16-01-14 10:13 AM, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
> >I'm really interested in other people's setup so could we start a
> >thread of people sharing their ~/.vimrc file.
> >
> >Here is mine: <https://github.com/myles/dotfiles/blob/master/vimrc>.
>
> Wow, that is a long list of stuff in that file. Mine hardly has anything by
> comparison. I use the following to automatically fix whitespace and
> de-tabify when editing various source code files.

I think sharing a whole vimrc is a bit much to digest but these are a couple
settings I enjoy:

" case insensitive search
set ignorecase
" exact matching if pattern contains an Upper case char
set smartcase

" hilite search results
set hlsearch
highlight Search ctermfg=black ctermbg=yellow

" Don't like people determining how my editor behaves
set nomodeline