[GTALUG] Vim talk slides posted

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 11:27:28 UTC 2016

On 14 January 2016 at 09:34, Stewart C. Russell <scruss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Giles:
>> http://www.gilesorr.com/vim/vimjourney/
>
> Thanks for the slides - sorry I coudln't make it out.
>
>> I added a section on "Programmer Fonts" and using TTF fonts in XTerm
>
> Neat - but the Powerline project doesn't explain why they need to patch
> the fonts in the first place. Font design is much harder than it looks,
> and exceptional care and skill is required.

I think that what they're doing is adding some characters that are
used to display special symbols (ie. for git upstream, or a pretty
arrow) on the Vim status bar.  Don't think they touch the existing
font at all.  I have no idea if that addresses your concerns or makes
them worse: I know nothing about font design.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com