[GTALUG] Rogers Analog lineup [was Re: best choices for tiny mlinux media centre in 2016?]

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 11 10:12:14 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 05:13:56PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> There are a couple of ways of handling this.  IPTV can be MPEG4
> exclusively, since the older boxes can't handle it anyway.  Also, with
> switched video, you can get the stream your PVR can use or, with all the
> extra bandwidth freed up from analog, just have both versions on the
> cable.  This sort of thing is already happening, where you can get both
> HD and SD on the same channel number.

Certainly, and my understanding is that the IPTV will be mpeg4.

Well as for HD and SD on the same channel, that I believe is actually
a trick in the cable box, where the HD boxes are told to tune the HD
equivalant stream if you select the SD channel number.  Both streams exist
(well maybe, the switching could mean they don't at any given time)
and the box just has to tune the right stream.

--
Len Sorensen