[GTALUG] Unix on Windows -- VirtualBox, BusyBox, Cygwin

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 12:13:52 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 10:04 AM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Something I (re)discovered recently...
>
> Windows is unavoidable at work.  So, you're working on Windows machine, but you need your favourite Unix tools and utilities to process some file.  What do you do?  So far, I found 3 solutions:

> 3. Cygwin -- cygwin.com
>

> It's single directory which you can put on USB stick.  That directory becomes your root filesystem, but you can access other drives through /cygdrive which acts like /mnt.  This is my recent (re)discovery.  I knew about it, but totally forgot.

>Cygwin/X is definitely my preferred choice; I've been using it for a number of years to make Windows environments less painful to work in.  <http://x.cygwin.com/>

MobaXterm is primarily a remote access tool but provides some Cygwin
functionality (and an X Server) <http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/>

I still haven't gotten around to actually trying Qubes OS - a
"reasonably secure" OS that combines linux & windows virtual machines
- so I'm uncertain if it might apply in this context.  That said,
there was a mailing list thread recently discussing a live USB
prototype that may be interesting to evaluate.

<https://www.qubes-os.org/>
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/IQdCEpkooto>

--
  Scott Elcomb         @psema4