[GTALUG] Rogers Analog lineup [was Re: best choices for tiny mlinux media centre in 2016?]

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:18:40 UTC 2016

On 01/08/16 14:56, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 01:53:49PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>> I could be wrong, but I believe the newer PVRs support MPEG4.  Also,
>> we'll have to see what happens when IPTV arrives.
>
> They do, but the old ones (of which there are a lot of users) do not.
>
> Breaking the 4200/4250 and 8300 would not go over well.

old school...
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/settop_8300hddvr.html

The fun part of supporting this market (U.S.A.) was when a tech-savvy
customer would call in and want to know how to hook up an optional hard
drive for the DVR boxes...

Even more interesting was supporting the higher-end DVR technology from
Cisco...

Everything from install considerations to troubleshooting bizarre issues
made the job interesting to me.

new school...
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/video/digital-encoders/7016667.pdf

Cisco did a lot of work on this line, I've never owned one, but there is
a lot of potential to do cool stuff.

see sites such as
http://www.dlna.org/

Also check out equipment/software from the folks who bring us NTFS-3g...
http://www.tuxera.com/markets/tv-set-top-box/

regards,
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org/