[GTALUG] Rogers Analog lineup [was Re: best choices for tiny mlinux media centre in 2016?]

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Fri Jan 8 17:13:56 UTC 2016

On 01/08/2016 02:56 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 01:53:49PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>> I could be wrong, but I believe the newer PVRs support MPEG4.  Also,
>> we'll have to see what happens when IPTV arrives.
> They do, but the old ones (of which there are a lot of users) do not.
>
> Breaking the 4200/4250 and 8300 would not go over well.

There are a couple of ways of handling this.  IPTV can be MPEG4
exclusively, since the older boxes can't handle it anyway.  Also, with
switched video, you can get the stream your PVR can use or, with all the
extra bandwidth freed up from analog, just have both versions on the
cable.  This sort of thing is already happening, where you can get both
HD and SD on the same channel number.