[GTALUG] Rogers Analog lineup [was Re: best choices for tiny mlinux media centre in 2016?]

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Jan 8 10:02:54 UTC 2016

I was under the impression that the new encoding schemes that Rogers is
using is not all that great.

I moved to an Antenna and OTT for my viewing needs something like 10
years ago so other than seeing the lack of quality my in-laws are
getting I can't attest to the quality of Rogers.

I don't off hand remember what the Bell compression was but I believe
that it was better than Rogers.

I was involved with a couple of startup OTT TV services a few years back
and I was never all that happy about the trade off between bandwidth and
quality.
The standard broadcast TV stream at 1080i sucks back 20Mbits of network
bandwidth.

Given that Toronto is a good location for picking up free to air signals
I wonder if there is a way to share antenna space and transcode them
down to something reasonable.
Set is up as a co-op and have members pick up the video streams as they
desire.

On 01/08/2016 07:20 AM, James Knott wrote:
> On 01/08/2016 03:26 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> All analog has gone, except for 3 and 15 which show a fish tank.
>> I've used their analog (with a gap) since 1975 or so.
> Well, at least you have the important channels.  ;-)
>
> I haven't watched analog in years.

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||