[GTALUG] installing linux while retaining Windows 10

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 09:01:24 UTC 2016

On 01/07/16 08:23, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> On 2016-01-06 08:21 AM, Daniel Villarreal wrote:
>>
>> I personally think that we're better off moving tasks to open-source
>> software, doing things like getting this functioning...
>> https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20573
>
> What, getting specific old PiXMA drivers going? Forget it: even Canon
> barely support existing printers on Windows and OS X. Their internals
> are weird and proprietary.

That was an example from the WINE project, I'm using something different.

> I was pleasantly surprised over the holidays to be able to join two home
> networks of relatives, and have their wireless printers be
> auto-discovered and "just work" with Linux. Epson and HP deserve some
> respect for this.

Modern printer support in Linux is nice. I would like to be able to
print directly on printable CD's and DVD's, in Linux.

I suppose I could still do lightscribe,
www.lightscribe.com is no longer operational, but I have the lightscribe
software for Linux in my collection.

I used to do printer support.