[GTALUG] installing linux while retaining Windows 10

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 12:22:14 UTC 2016

On 01/04/16 16:46, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> When I buy a PC, it almost always comes with Win 10 these days and I am
> not brave enough to throw it away.  So I install Linux beside Windows.
> For this I need to shrink the Windows partition.
>
> Windows is unwilling to shrink its NTFS partition to less than half
> its original size. [...] third party tools [...] but I don't want to learn
> about them or trust them.
>
> So use Linux to resize the partition to give Windows less than half of
> the disk.  There are a couple of tricks that you need to know.
>
> Windows 10, by default, uses something called Fast Startup[...] shut down
>[...] only hibernates [...] turn off Fast Startup before shutting down Win 10.
>Settings: System: Power and Sleep: Additional Power Settings:
>Choose what the power buttons do: Change settings that are currently unavailable:
>Under Shutdown Settings, untick: Turn on fast startup (recommended)
> (I don't think that Microsoft wants you to find this.)[...]

I wasn't aware of that! Thanks!

You might want to check this out...
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-manual/

or

I just place a shutdown shortcut on the desktop. The following functions
on MS Win10...
http://techstrick.blogspot.ca/2012/07/how-to-shut-down-windows-8-completely.html

[...]
> Alternative solution (unreliable report of Giles' approach):
>
> Before EVER booting Wind 10, install Linux.
> Win 10 first-boot process won't eat a Linux installation.

I recommend backing up MS Win10 before booting it...

https://youcanlinux.wordpress.com/backup-using-free-open-source-software/

have a great day!
Daniel Villarreal

P.S. At some point I want to experiment installing GNU/Linux
side-by-side with MS Win10...