[GTALUG] installing linux while retaining Windows 10

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Mon Jan 4 18:09:04 UTC 2016

On 16-01-04 05:29 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On 04/01/16 04:50 PM, Darryl Moore wrote:
>> Suggestion: be brave!
>>
>> If you need windows, reinstall it as a virtual machine. I've had no
>> problem doing that and using the license key on the bottom of my
>> laptop to activate it.
>
> That won't help in the event Hugh needs Windows to do BIOS updates.

Now that is true. Caused me grief once on one machine requiring me to
swap in a hard drive with windows on it, but still not the end of the
world, and you can usually get through the lifetime of several laptops
before needing to do a BIOS upgrade, so that doesn't seem a compelling
reason to me.

I'd still recommend wiping the hard drive and installing Linux fresh.