[GTALUG] Seeking help with a unique Linux project?

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:09:16 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Karen Lewellen <klewellen at shellworld.net> wrote:
> Hi again  Blaise,
> This one is really fun from a creative standpoint.
> You wrote,
>

>>> For music notation there are a couple, ABC Notation  is included
>>> in Debian, which I understand is a really simple tool.  there are
>>> some more complete doors though,
>>

>> I wouldn't discount ABC notation as being too simple. I haven't used it
>> yet, but
>> it's been on my radar for a while. It could be very useful for entry and
>> editing, because you can do that all in plain text, and then convert to
>> MIDI or
>> typeset with Lilypond.
>

> This is the nifty thing about creating here. do I want to create the music
> in  midi files first then turn them into notation, or the other way around?
> decisions, decisions.

Speaking from my experience with music. You could tell someone you want
a regular 4 beat with pizzaz AND swing and I would understand that what was
on the page might be square but that I was to do x with that notation and that
would make it come alive. Western music notation has so many things it
can't notate. That's why you can get 10 different people doing something and
have30 different versions of something that's interesting!

Interesting music notated by a computer might be rather wickedly difficult
for the 'normal' musician to read and do. YMMV

snip

Over to you.

Dee