[GTALUG] Seeking help with a unique Linux project?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Mon Jan 4 13:49:28 UTC 2016

Happy new year Blaise, everyone,
Now that I am back in professional groove, let me speak to a couple of
these in  context.

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015, Blaise Alleyne wrote:

> I don't think it'll make much of a difference for command line usage. The
> differences are more in the graphical desktop environments, packaging and
> distribution, etc.
This certainly makes sense, and as you discovered from my list of various
command line programs for various music creation, they are largely in stable
Debian distributions already.

> The reason I like KXStudio is that you can install the distribution on the
> machine, *or* you can just add the KXStudio repositories to a supported Debian
> or Ubuntu installation.
Again, you are the voice of practical reason.  granted,  I prefer
installing the best Debian first then layering in the extras.  Some posts
here in other therads though may suggest issues with Jessie.  I want this
machine to automatically boot to the console, since i will not be using it
directly.
If Jessie now makes this a challenge, what is the best  and least difficult
solution?

> Since I was already using Debian (Jessie), it was convenient for me to just add
> the KXStudio repositories to my existing machine. (The only extra step was
> getting the Liquorix kernel, since the KXStudio repositories don't include a low
> latency kernel.) That way I could have all the stability and familiarity of
> Debian, but with up-to-date audio packages, and KXStudio assistance in
> optimizing configuration for real-time audio.

Stability is 10000% the goal here, I do not want to spend  or lose allot of
time because things do not work well together.
I am simply not that solid in Debian and have never found locally in
person training  in the operating system.

> I haven't tried AVLinux myself, but I don't think it'll be all that different

from Debian or KXStudio as for as command line access goes.

I am really feeling that it will be easiest to add the tools like kxstudio
and the low latency kennel to a stable established Debian floor,
booting into the console  assured I mean.

> ps I was scanning the discussion on LAU about this. I think F. Silvain is right
> that most of the differences between difference audio distributions aren't
> relevant for command line usage (
> ) , but he just overlooked a few things:

I might be wrong, but i believe Fanci is a woman, and by her own admission
a hobbyist in music making not a professional.  Still as I said before there
are   so many command line tools that   do the job, those may be best
regardless.

> - package management, software updates: if you're familiar with Debian/Ubuntu,
> then you might prefer aptitude/apt-get to Arch's repository management, or vice
> versa. This is used for installing new packages, or getting updates to existing
> packages

but this is my point, I have absolutely zero experience updating packages
in this way,  certainly no positive efforts.
I want to build this house for what I desire and keep using that house
as long as possible without having to upgrade every time  Debian developers
change their hair style if that makes sense.

> - The audio distributions still might help with some of the configuration for
> low latency audio, and getting the latest pro audio packages. You could
> certainly make those adjustments manually in a non-audio distro, but if you
> haven't done it before, I still think it'd be worth going with something like
> AVLinux or KXStudio to reduce that learning curve and get started faster

Amen brother!
Kare