[GTALUG] VOIP setup

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Jan 2 02:54:44 UTC 2016

I've just ported several numbers to Voip.ms, and I continue to be
amazed at the features and flexibility built right into their Web
interface.  I'll be building a local phone switch server (Asterisk or
similar) sometime in the future, but for now Voip.ms provides all the
tools I require.

I've used a Cisco SPA-122 ATA and a Grandstream HT702 ATA, as well as
a Grandstream GXP280 voip phone (and a number of SIP phone
applications on computers and Android phones). All configure Caller ID
a bit differently, but I've been able to set up different Caller IDs
for each phone, even when they dial out from the same number.

One account has two different DID (Dial-In) numbers. A single phone on
that account is configured to use one number for its caller ID, but
receives calls from both DID numbers. It's a bit of a pain to switch
the caller ID to the other number, and I don't think it's really
necessary; as long as that phone can receive calls from both numbers
it doesn't matter what number it displays on outgoing calls. YMMV.

- --Bob.

On 31/12/15 10:50 PM, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
> On 31/12/15 05:42 PM, David Mason wrote:
>> I know there are some people on here that know about VOIP and
>> Asterisk, and I'm looking for some pointers.  I've looked at
>> Asterisk a bit (a while ago) and it was kind of overwhelming.
>>

> I'm running a FreeSWITCH server at work. More overwhelming in some
> ways, less in others. There's just a lot of telephony stuff you
> need to get up to speed with...
>
> Though, at home, I'm just using SIP clients, connecting directly to
> VoIP.ms SIP servers in Toronto and using their web portal to
> configure call forwarding, IVRs, etc.
>

>> I want to have several phones and several phone numbers (a 416
>> for where I work, a 905 for where I live, and a 902 for where a
>> bunch of my friends and family are).
>
> VoIP.ms
>
>> I want to pick up a phone, dial a number and have the appropriate
>> VOIP phone number be used.
>
> Caller ID is a little trickier, but definitely doable. With SIP and
> VoIP.ms, there are two options:
>
> Option 1: Set the Caller ID in your VoIP.ms account profile. This
> would always be the same, wouldn't be able to use different numbers
> for outgoing caller ID. This is what I do at home.
>
> Option 2: Set VoIP.ms to accept the caller ID from your calls. With
> my FreeSWITCH server at the office, we have it set to use different
> outbound caller IDs depending on a prefix dialed before the number.
> Maybe there's a way to set it in your SIP client without needed an
> Asterisk/FreeSWITCH server in between you and VoIP.ms? You'd need
> to find a way to set this and trigger the appropriate caller ID on
> your end though before it hits VoIP.ms, if you want it to vary.
>
>> I'd like a different ring tone from each of the numbers.
>
> Also a little tricker, but probably doable. The ring tone is going
> to be set by your SIP client, whether it's a softphone or handset.
>
> (a) You'd need a SIP client that can vary the ringtone based on the
> incoming call.
>
> (b) You'd need a way to identify the number used by the incoming
> caller.
>
> So, if John Doe calls you on your 902 number, your SIP client won't
> know that it was on the 902 number -- it will just see John Doe's
> name and number.
>
> However, VoIP.ms has an option for DIDs (Direct Inward Dialing
> numbers, i.e. traditional phone numbers) to prefix the caller ID.
> So, at the office, we've got caller ID prefixes. If John Doe called
> Alleyne Inc., the caller ID gets modified by VoIP.ms so that the
> name is "[AI] John Doe <X>" (where X is John's number). The "[AI] "
> part tells us visually in the caller ID what line he called into.
>
> Presumably, you could use that information to select a ring tone as
> well, but I'm not sure that'd be easy to do on your average SIP
> client. If you're going through Asterisk/FreeSWITCH, you'd have
> more opportunity to mess with the Caller ID for sure. I'd imagine
> some SIP clients could have different ring tones for different
> [...]

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software --- Office & Business Automation --- Consulting