[GTALUG] distro for old machine and non-expert users

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Fri Jan 1 18:25:08 UTC 2016

On 30/12/15 01:42 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Machine: old P4 with 1G of RAM an 80G HDD.
> Was running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
>
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS but Unity is a real pig with the
> ancient Intel 865G graphics.  Any desktop that tries to use 3D
> acceleration will be awful.  I strongly suspect Fedora's
> Gnome would be bad.
>
> Is there an easy choice?  Would Mint work?
>
> The system should be self-explanatory to casual former Windows users.

+1 for an Ubuntu spin, like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Or in any other distro, just set
up a lightweight desktop environment like XFCE or LXDE. Those desktop
environments are lightweight enough to run well on older hardware, yet still
familiar enough without much customization for casual former Windows users.