[GTALUG] VOIP setup

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Fri Jan 1 10:33:58 UTC 2016

On 31/12/15 10:50 PM, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
> [...] The cost/benefit I'd recommend is to try VoIP.ms, and see how far you can get
> with just their services and SIP clients. You'd definitely have more power and
> flexibility with your own Asterisk/FreeSWITCH server, but it takes a lot more
> work to understand, setup, and manage.

I should add for clarity that I meant your own Asterisk/FreeSWITCH server *in
between*.

VoIP.ms still makes sense regardless of whether you're connecting to it with SIP
clients directly, or connecting to it with an Asterisk/FreeSWITCH server and
connecting your SIP clients to Asterisk/FreeSWITCH.

The latter option is more work but gives you more power; trying the former first
is a good intermediate step that can satisfy your simpler requirements fast and
defer the decision on whether or not to host your own server.