[GTALUG] Fedora Partitioning

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Feb 15 20:49:20 UTC 2016

An Ubuntu live CD should most certainly connect you to the network.
Even most WiFi cards that require a proprietary driver such as
Broadcom work, but it's possible your hardware isn't supported without
additional drivers.

The Ubuntu installer is easier to use than it used to be, but less
flexible as a result, especially in how the hard drive will be
preserved or formatted.

I would proceed by performing an installation entirely on your root
partition /dev/sda1. If the installer insists, create a 256 MByte
partition /dev/sda3 and put /boot on that.  Make sure the installer
doesn't touch /dev/sda2 or any other extended partition. Once the
install is complete you can edit /etc/fstab to mount /dev/sda5 as home
(or whatever partition your /home is now) and you should retain all
your files.

- --Bob.