[GTALUG] IPS on the Raspberry Pi

mike mike at kallies.ca
Mon Feb 15 12:39:34 UTC 2016

Hello Everyone,

For those who were interested in the links and slides on the Raspberry Pi IPS talk, I've posted them here:

   http://www.palumbus.com/publish/IPS-Pi

Apologies for rushing through a lot, It's the tip of the iceberg on IPS, and I mostly wanted to show what I was doing with my device and ways in which it can be a useful application of the Pi.

A note about the question on encryption.   I answered that the encrypted payloads can't be inspected without proxy solutions and private trusts.... which is not entirely true, one of the slides even goes there, but I forgot to get into it:

    http://www.palumbus.com/publish/IPS-Pi/img32.html

The rule is for 80 and 443.   It works on 443 because SNI (Server Name Indication) is in the clear, although the user's message is not friendly... it reports that the SSL handshake failed.

Mike Kallies
mike at kallies.ca