[GTALUG] Headless laptop - controlling X settings

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 17:08:51 UTC 2016

On 25 January 2016 at 21:04, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> 1. Check BIOS to set monitor priority.
> 2. Try booting into console mode by
>     - runlevel 1 at kernel boot option
>     - alt-ctrl-fn to get VTn
>
> I assume you already did 1 and 2.
>
> 3. SSH into it and 'telinit 1'.  Don't know if it still works with
> systemd.
> 4. Try Ubuntu. :-)

BIOS -> Main -> Power on display ->

changed to "Simultaneous" from "Auto-selected."  This has fixed the
main problem.  Thanks!

Now I'm up against another problem, almost certainly the reason I
landed here in the first place: the folks at Debian removed the
xserver-xorg-video-sis between wheezy and jessie, and that's
(probably) what broke the machine as it has a SiS video card.  It
sorta works with the vesa driver (1024x768 max and weird fonts), but I
guess I'll live with that (or figure out how to fix it).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/