[GTALUG] Experience Upgrading From Fedora 24 to Fedora 25

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Dec 24 16:22:52 EST 2016

| From: CLIFFORD ILKAY via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I just followed the directions here
| <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade> to upgrade from 24 to 25.
| Within 20 minutes, I had a flawlessly working system. I'm very impressed.

I've done perhaps four systems that way.

Only one got into a problem.

That system (my main desktop) uses the proprietary Nvidia driver.  The
reason is that Nouveau didn't seem to be able to drive my 4k monitor
with my curreent GX 650 card and the proprietary driver can.

I get the nvidia driver from rpmfusion, all niceley packaged for
Fedora.

When I did the in-place update, for some reason the rpmfusion
repositories were removed.  After that, the existing nvidia driver was
obsolete, didn't match the kernel, and could not be updated.

It took me a while to figure out what was going wrong.  Once I did,
all I had to do was re-add the rpmfusion repositories and do and
update the system.

PS: one source of typos in my messages is that my mechanical keyboard,
spec'ed for several lifetimes worth of keystrokes, has a failing e
key.  Of course the actual warranty period (1 year) is long dead.
I'm not willing to follow these leads:
  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsby_(novel)>
  La Desparaton by <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Perec>
(I found the second link fascinating.  Knuth lists another work by
the same author as "perhaps the greatest 20th century novel"
<http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/retd.html>)