[GTALUG] Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 10:51:54 EST 2016

I enjoyed using git-bash (https://git-for-windows.github.io/) -- it allowed
me to use bash, Perl and git on a Windows 7 laptop at my last contract. Far
better than the provided configuration of Windows Power (sic) Shell and the
mammoth IDE Eclipse.

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM, William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just tried "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" (yes, it's real title).  With
> this, there are now 4 ways of running Unix tools on Windows.
>
>     1. busybox -- single binary running on Windows.
>
>     2. Cygwin -- you download and install bunch of programs, like bash,
>     bc, awk, sed, etc, that will run natively on Windows.
>
>     3. VirtualBox -- full VM.
>
>     4. Bash on Ubuntu on Windows -- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS command line on
>     Windows 10 (64bit only).  I kind of like it, because it's "official"
>     and will replace Cygwin, at least.  Busybox is still useful for
>     other Windows, but as Windows10x64 becomes the standard, it will be
>     replaced too.
> --
> William

Alex Beamish

Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org