[GTALUG] Wireless Access Point Question

phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca
Fri Dec 23 20:17:21 EST 2016

I recently extended our household network using a couple of TP-Link
TL-PA8030P powerline adaptors.  So far, that seems to work fine.  The link
speed at the far end is essentially the same as it is at the DSL modem.  I
just plugged them in and they worked.  There is also a 'pair' button that
creates an encripted link between the units on the network.

Questions:

- I'm going to add a third adaptor to the network, but these things are only
sold in pairs.  So I'll buy the kit of two for around $100 and have a spare
one.  Anyone here interested in a single unit?

- The existing Sagecom modem-router has resonably decent wi-fi coverage, but
to fill in a dead spot I'd like to plug in a wireless access point to one of
these powerline adaptors.  The Canada Computer sales person suggested the
TP-Link WA901ND, but that one has terrible reviews.  Does anyone have a
suggestion for a suitable device?  Ease of configuration is a
consideration ;).

Best wishes of the season to GTALug, and thanks for the advice-
Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto