[GTALUG] What Not To Backup

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Fri Dec 23 14:53:34 EST 2016

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 12:11:15 -0500
John Moniz via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm backing up my system on a more regular basis and am trying to fine
> tune the files that I backup. I am looking for advice on what NOT to
> bother to backup on the /home directory.

John,

   I back up my entire /home directory every night.  I also back up /etc, /root and /usr/local, but very much less frequently.  My backup device is a 4TB hard drive.  Periodically, I burn my /home backup to Blu-ray.  If I have to recover something, I use my latest backup.  I have written a backup script that uses tar.

   KISS.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca