[GTALUG] Cyber Monday cheap netbook

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Dec 9 15:28:10 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 11:56:16AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Everyone got two copies of this because you didn't notice that the
> list software rewrote my address to be the list address.  Notice that it
> has happened to your "From:" address too.
>
> Of course rewriting my address is horrible, but it is forced on the list
> software by various big email hosts (eg. google) rejecting forwarded mail.
>
> Grrr.
>
> No.  It should work.  But it is likely slower than the 32G eMMC "disk"
> built in.  And likely less reliable.
>
> I have tried booting another tiny Win10 box off an SD card, and that
> failed.  Some dumb limitation of the UEFI firmware.  I have no idea how
> widespread that silly "feature" is.

UEFI/BIOS in general probably doesn't include drivers for an SD card slot.
SD USB card reader on the other hand ought to work since that is just
a USB drive.  Windows on the other hand by design doesn't support booting
from such a thing.  You need a more expensive license for that feature.

> Windows used to refuse to install on a removable drive.  This was
> apparently an anti-piracy measure.  I think that with their new license
> verification process Microsoft has loosened that restriction.

No it is only supported for Windows-to-Go which I believe requires Windows
Enterprise licensing.

--
Len Sorensen