[GTALUG] cheap Windows tablets today

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 9 13:18:06 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 12:42:13PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | I'm eyeing HP x2 Detachable 10-p092ms Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC CAD
> | $279.00 because it has MS-Office mobile version included.--
>
> My thoughts on this netbook (based on personal tastes):
>
> - if you want a normal Linux distro, a tablet is rarely the right
>   choice (Linux's fault)

I'm looking to replace my broken Windows laptop, which I use to connect
and manage external devices, like cell phones, GPS, dash cam, etc.  I
can do that via Windows VirtualBox, but difficult to carry 50lb tower
around.

> - detachable keyboards are usually a compromise.  In particular, the
>   balance is usually wrong.  Since the payoff is so slight on Linux, I
>   don't think that detachable is a great choice.

Actually, the detachable keyboard is very useful as "case" and "stand",
and all for free too!

It's amazing that Microsoft is selling Raspberry Pi, tablets, and
laptops at such cheap prices.
--
William