[GTALUG] overengineering: hostnamectl

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 22:33:29 EDT 2016

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 8:41 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> How do you set the hostname of a Linux machine?  It used to be you just
> put it in the file /etc/hostname.
>snip
>
> To be honest, what bothers me is that there seem to be several
> different models of what a hostname is.  It would be nice if we
> actually could delete some of these interfaces, and merge some others,
> leaving behind only one model.  Maybe the SystemD model is that one.

Hmmmmmm - - - as it was explained to me systemd wants to be ALL things
to all systems, covering every background detail - - - - that sounds like a
recipe for disaster to me!!!

Dee

(relying on the reports of those with far more experience than I!!)