[GTALUG] Voting with our Dollars on Computing Future that Respects our Freedom.

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Sat Aug 27 11:34:14 EDT 2016

Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
> The reason for laptop upgrades is often needing more memory or disk
> space but by the time you get there 2-3 years down the road the keyboard
> has food bits under it and the touch pad is wearing out so getting a new
> laptop is the way to go.

I had a Thinkpad from around 2000 that lasted more than a decade; it
was solid hardware and I didn't abuse it.  And ultimately Moore's Law
caught up with it, even though I'd maxed out RAM once that got cheap
and upgraded the hard drive.

I could probably haul it out today and get it booted, but why bother?

Lesson from that is buy it to use it not coddle it, and plan to upgrade
in not more than five years.  Though maybe Moore's Law is levelling out?

--
Anthony de Boer