[GTALUG] Setting up a VM host

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 26 21:33:50 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:37:37AM -0400, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> If I wanted to set up a host for a bunch of headless VMs, what's the
> OS/Hypervisor to run these days?  I'm doing this out of curiosity and
> for testing purposes.  I don't exactly have appropriate hardware - an
> i5 with 16GB of memory - but it should be sufficient to run 5-10 VMs
> for my very limited purposes (private network, none of the VMs will be
> public-facing).  QEMU/KVM looks like the best choice for a FOSS
> advocate?  Other recommendations?  I could particularly use a good
> HOWTO or tutorial if anyone knows of one.  Thanks.

- QEMU and VirtualBox.  They both use KVM.
- VirtualBox practically needs no manual.  It's all mouse clicks.  The
  only time I actually had to read something, was to convert VMDK to VDI
  format (using VBoxManage on command line in Windows)
- QEMU requires manpage and shell script to store all the options you
  discovered. :-)

I'm not sure about "headless".  From memory, I seems to have closer
association with VirtualBox than with QEMU.
--
William