[GTALUG] Voting with our Dollars on Computing Future that Respects our Freedom.

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Thu Aug 25 00:47:55 EDT 2016

There is a common refrain on this list, "Vote with your Dollars". We'll
I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.

The EOMA-68 effort is something I've spoken on before. It's a real
earnest attempt to put together a hardware project that meets the ideals
of the free software community. It's matter of principle, much like
recycling is matter or principle (recycling is not cheaper then new
materials).

https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

I've been watching Luke, the project lead, fail and succeed in various
ways for nearly 5 years now. He's had hardware prototypes built, small
productions runs of the A20 card done.

This is a early adopter scenario, it's going to be rough around the
edges, and it's not going to be the fastest hardware. But it's got the
heart.

Spend sometime reading into the details.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/fsf-ryf-background

In Five years, I've not seen Luke give up. He's finally found a partner
company with a good track record (Think Penguin). And the design is done
and tested. It just has to be built in mass.

I'm not asking that folks go for the laptop. But maybe just a Card, and
a Cable Set for Standalone Operation. The costs of Hardware won't come
down until we show that we are willing to put a down payment on future
we've been asking for.

I'm backing this project, not because its the cheapest, or the fastest.
But because I want to see more projects like in the future that will be
faster and possibly cost competitive in the market.

--
Scott Sullivan