[GTALUG] FPD-Link adapter kits

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 10:46:12 EDT 2016

On Aug 23, 2016 10:52 AM, "D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> | From: Russell Reiter via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | Has anyone tried out the LCD adapter kits like this one on ebay.
> |
> | http://m.ebay.com/itm/121124750917?_mwBanner=1
>
> Not me.  But thanks for posting this.  I'm mildly interested because of
> two projects that I never get around to.

Here's a slightly cheaper one with VGA input only. This place drop ships
from Flushing NY, although they say add 30 days for international delivery,
most of them sellers I've viewed say that somewhere.

These pre assembled device matched units all seem to come from the same
manufacturing campus in China.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/RTD2270-Universal-LCD-Controller-Board-Kit-VGA-to-LVDS-Signal-For-DIY-Monitor-/181437914509?hash=item2a3e8add8d%3Ag%3ABAwAAOSwGotWrFPZ&_trkparms=pageci%253A9920f25e-6a06-11e6-ae8c-74dbd1805b52%257Cparentrq%253Abcf0fd161560a2a486bce02efffd24dc%257Ciid%253A10

I'm currently thinking of this one.

http://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1280#!/HDMI-to-LVDS-converter/p/14647633/category=3094859

You have to make/repurpose your own LVDS cable. However, there is a ink to
step by step instructions and a they provide their own utility for loading
EDID. This would be good for me considering where I'm starting from.
However, in my case I may be wrong in my assumption these Toshiba's are all
using LG.

There is also this;  as well as the native Linux EDID tools you can use to
tinker Xorg.

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/amd-edid-utility/

>From what I have read so far, it is possible that if any of the adapters
sold now is hooked up correctly ie. voltages and pin assignments are
correct, you will get some sort of output.

This guy has blogged his RE adventure.

https://hackaday.io/project/4177/logs

<snip>

> (Isn't it sad that the quality and resolution of the 15.6" notebook
> ($400) is so much less that of the 7" tablet ($40).)

I see this as a transport issue related to supply side economics. You can
invest in better technology for smaller items because your risk of damage
or loss is spread out over a larger lot per container. The larger the
display, the more fragile it becomes and shipping time and distance becomes
more problematic.

Russell
Sent from mobile.