[GTALUG] Fwd: Bell Fibe -- thoughts?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Aug 24 09:51:58 EDT 2016

On 08/24/2016 09:21 AM, William Porquet via talk wrote:
> Another Bell support caveat involving Fibe that I never thought I'd
> have to deal with...
>
> My parents decided to come visit Toronto to help in the sale of a
> condo we own together. I didn't have Internet or cable at the
> location. So my mum calls up Bell in Nova Scotia and orders a 3-month
> trial special offer, and then gives the installation address to the
> condo in Toronto. It gets installed, dry loop, Internet box, PVR, no
> problem. Works pretty good all told. Then the first time I call for
> tech support, I'm told that Bell has no record of my dry loop number.
> Nada. Zip. I don't exist.
>
> After some investigation it comes out that actually we're not a Bell
> customer. We're a Bell *Aiant* customer. Apparently the east-coast
> merger a number of years back made for some interesting wrinkles in
> support structure. Another toll-free number. I finally got my default
> admin password. (It was "admin" by the way.)
>
> As if this wasn't bad enough (there are *two* Bells?!)... Then my mum
> decides to transfer the aforementioned Vibe connection to my new
> apartment in Toronto. Same rigmarole to start, plus several transfers
> to overseas call-centres before she *finally* got an order number and
> I could arrange a Bell tech visit to get the wires hooked up.
>
> This might be an edge case, but it's a good example of how internally
> fscked up Bell is as a corporation.
>
> Cheers,
> William

Bell does have some issues with integration of other entities.

But then Rogers is no better.
My company had a PRI with Group Telecom which got broken up and sold to
Rogers and Bell.
We were moved to Rogers.
Some time later the PRI broke and it took 3 days to work through the
screwup that was rogers support.
At one point we were directed to a number that was a straight redirect
to bell support.
Eventually it was the Bell guys who fixed the problem.

About a year or so later we were told by Rogers that our service would
be cancelled in a few months and no amount of calling could get a
business services sales call back.
So we were forced to move to Bell.

Somewhat off topic but try getting a party-line in rural Ontario fixed.
Then try to explain why you cannot give a cell phone as a call back
number to someone in the third world call centre where the whole country
has cheap cell phone access.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||