[GTALUG] FPD-Link adapter kits

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 09:27:27 EDT 2016

On Aug 22, 2016 3:36 PM, "Stewart C. Russell via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 2016-08-22 12:17 PM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> > Has anyone tried out the LCD adapter kits like this one on ebay.
> > http://m.ebay.com/itm/121124750917?_mwBanner=1
>
> Not directly, but I have seen a whole bunch of consoles for ad
> promotions that use Raspberry Pi + Generic cheap laptop LCD + board
> almost exactly like this to make a cheap built-in HDMI display. Many of
> those are touchscreens, though. Matching the backlight inverter to the
> screen will be the hard part.

I have three older Toshiba's which all apparently use the same inverter.
All with the same MP bios issue.

This particular LCD was the only DOA and since I couldn't Frankenstein the
MB in the oven at home to reseat the chip, I disassembled it, mostly for
the screws, connectors and such.

I still have the original Toshiba I started with which ran only off the
battery and could never be set run from AC only. I can test the inverter
and panel with it.

> > My friend surprised the heck out of himself when he bought a raspberry
> > pi and was able to get it working on his own. HDMI works fine for
> > connecting to his TV. He just needed a little help with a RTC setup.
>
> You got the RTC going okay? The most important lessons I've learned are:
>
> * Use a DS3231 if at all possible

My friend lives just around the corner from Creatroninc on College St. A
short conversation about the Pi one day and the next day he picked up the
Pi, noobs, wireless keyboard and the rtc. DS1307 because it had the pin
through fitting.

> * Don't follow a tutorial that's more than a year old. If it mentions
> Raspbian Wheezy, run away!

With noobs the wireless networking worked out of the box and he installed
the latest Raspbian. I think that's Jessie, but I'd have to check.

In case anyone else gets a recent Pi. Here are instructions for setting up
the RTC under Raspbian Jessie. I didn't quite do it this way. Makes me
think I'll have to actually reboot the Pi next visit to check for
persistance.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=125003

>then
> cheers,