[GTALUG] Wireless router -- which one?

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Mon Aug 22 16:17:35 EDT 2016

On 08/22/2016 04:07 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Am I right that if the bottleneck is beyond his demark, and it the flow is
> predominantly inbound, code on his own router cannot affect the problem?
> Well, perverse code could: for example send ACKs for packets not yet seen.

I suppose, but where would the bottleneck be?  His connection to the ISP
is likely the slowest link, with his local LAN faster.  Perhaps he
should fire up Wireshark and take a look.

Also, is it in fact "buffer bloat"?  Or just a poorly performing
router?  Given replacing it cleared the problem, that's what I'd suspect.

With Wireshark, he can look at all the traffic, examine the TCP details,
watch for ACKs. etc.