[GTALUG] (question) TP-Link TL-WR802N 300Mbps Wireless-N Nano Router

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Tue Aug 16 12:19:56 EDT 2016

On 08/16/2016 11:40 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 09:59:53AM -0400, James Knott via talk wrote:
>> I've also wondered exactly what he wants.  If he wants a WiFi "bridge",
>> that is a device that extends WiFi range, then this device won't do it.
>> My home access point, the TL-WA901ND will, as will my Asus wl-330ge
>> portable access point.  If he wants to connect an Ethernet device or
>> network to existing WiFi, then the D-Link is fine
> No a wifi bridge is not a range extender.  It is a device to connect
> wired ethernet to wireless ethernet.

Sometimes those terms are not precise.  Here's what my TP-Link access
point says:

Repeater - In Repeater mode, the AP with WDS enabled will relays data to
an associated root AP. AP function is enabled meanwhile. The wireless
repeater relays signal between its stations and the root AP for greater
wireless range. Please input the MAC address of root AP in the field
"MAC of AP".

Universal Repeater - In Universal Repeater mode, the AP with WDS
disabled will relays data to an associated root AP. AP function is
enabled meanwhile. The wireless repeater relays signal between its
stations and the root AP for greater wireless range. Please input the
MAC address of root AP in the field "MAC of AP".

Bridge with AP - This operation mode bridges the AP and up to 4 APs also
in bridge mode to connect two or more wired LANs. Please input the MAC
address of other APs in the field "MAC of AP1" to "MAC of AP4". AP
function will also startup.