[GTALUG] (question) TP-Link TL-WR802N 300Mbps Wireless-N Nano Router

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Tue Aug 16 12:15:52 EDT 2016

On 08/16/2016 11:38 AM, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> This is the same thing that is preventing running a VM in bridged mode
> on a laptop with a wifi link.  If you do full NAT you are fine, but if
> you are trying to run a VM as a server and make it accessible to the
> network you are out of luck.

FWIW, I run Windows 10 in a VirtualBox virtual machine on Linux, with my
ThinkPad.  I run the VM in bridge mode, not NAT.  It gets it's own DHCP
IPv4 address, along with SLAAC addresses on IPv6.  I even have an
assigned IPv4 address for it's MAC in my DHCP server.  It all works
well.  This is with my TP-Link TL-WA901ND access point.  It also works
with my D-Link DAP-1350 and Asus WL-330gE portable access points.

So, via WiFi, no matter which access point I use, Linux gets an address
of 172.16.1.40 and the W10 VM gets 172.16.1.41, as configured in the
DHCP server.  I get full connectivity on both IPv4 and IPv6 through the
single WiFi connection.

BTW, those IP addresses are secret, so don't tell them to anyone else.  ;-)