[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 16 12:14:42 EDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 05:36:11PM -0400, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk wrote:
> CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN VS SILVERSTONE
>
> The case originally specified: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) has a door that covers the entire front of the case. There is exposure to damage to an optical drive, if the optical drive ejects a disc while the front door of the case is in the way.
>
> The SilverStone TJ04-E was suggested as an alternative case. However, this venerable popular model is no longer available. The successor SilverStone model: SST-TJ04B-E does not seem to be nearly as well made as the original TJ04-E. Numerous reviews on Anazon.com mention flimsy material and construction. There are other SilverStone case models of interest, but none as compelling in features as the Fractal Design Define R5.

The TJ04B-E is in fact the TJ04-E in black.  Many cases from silverstone
also come in silver, although I don't think this one ever did.
Amazon lists it as:
Silverstone Temjin TJ04-EW (SST-TJ04B-Evolution)

I have found nothing flimsy about it in my uses.

> The decision is to use a Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) case with the front foor, as originally specified, and be very careful always to keep the front door of this case wide open, so long as there is a disc in the optical drive. (Good luck, Steve :)

You can send the eject command whether there is a disc in it or not.

Just don't do that.  Burning software should only do so if there is a
disc in the drive as far as I can recall.  At least I can't think of a
case where it would do so.

--
Len Sorensen