[GTALUG] (question) TP-Link TL-WR802N 300Mbps Wireless-N Nano Router

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 12 20:48:55 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 09:46:10AM -0400, Scott Sullivan via talk wrote:
> William, is correct in that 'client mode' is not what he's seeking, although
> he's not hit on the correct term yet.
>
> From what I understand so far, William can correct me, he wants Scenario 1,
> where its a transparent bridge. I've been re-acquainting myself with this
> all morning.

Yes, scenario 1 is what I meant and want.  Correct term (and operation)
is "client bridge".  Second router connects to the main router as client
and gets DHCP IP from the main router, like any other connecting
devices.  Then, the second router bridges its wlan0 and eth0
(internally, creates br0 which contains wlan0 and eth0).

Anyways, for the external device connecting to the second router, it
appears as though it's connecting to the main router.  It gets DHCP IP
from the main router, it's on the same network as other devices
connected (via cable or wifi) to the main router, etc.  In other words,
instead of long ethernet cable to the main router, it has short cable to
the second router.

This situation comes up a lot at work, and I'm sure everyone here has
encounter this.  You want to connect to a particular network and be in
that network, but you can't roll out physical cable.
--
William