[GTALUG] better than average article on why the federal payroll system is a mess

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Aug 12 11:41:50 EDT 2016

On 08/12/2016 11:13 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> There have been a bunch of headlines about the new federal payroll
> system "Phoenix" is screwing up a lot.  This article does a reasonable
> job of describing how the problems happened.
>
> <http://www.itworldcanada.com/blog/phoenix-payroll-report-by-michael-wernick-the-clerk-of-the-privy-council/385370>
Interesting.

I have a slightly different take.

Through my wife's work I have had a chance to see lots of government
projects (mostly Ontario) and I have come to the conclusion that the
insistance of project managers to go with safe products like Oracle and
Microsoft and Cisco are the reason lots of projects are off the rails.
Big companies know how to bill and charge for changes but the products
and services seldom come close to the sales pitch.

But nobody will get fired for buying IBM/Cisco/Oracle/Microsoft.....

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||