[GTALUG] (question) TP-Link TL-WR802N 300Mbps Wireless-N Nano Router

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Fri Aug 12 00:26:15 EDT 2016

Hi William,

First Question, do you care about double NAT?

Scenario 1: Bridge (Single NAT from WIFI AP's upstream router).

* The 'box' joins a wireless AP, and all packets, including broadcasts,
DCHP, ARP, pass through transparently to the wired port on the 'box'.

Scenario 2: Double NAT

* The 'box' joins a wireless AP, get an address from the upstream router
and then NATs that, creating and managing a separate network for the
wired port. Internet Access would be still be
'normal', you would not get broadcast traffic, or addresses from the
upstream router.

Scenario 2 is a lot easier, and covers the majority of use cases.

----

Over the last five years I've been using the TL-MR3020 as a swiss army
knife for old ball networking. I actually own several of them.

I did use it's stock firmware as a wireless bridge (Scenario 1), evening
doing a PXE network boot over it. Although that was 4 years ago.

OpenWRT works on it very well, and I've even gone through the pain of
bricking and recovering one.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3020
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=690&item_id=047186

You can still find some stock in Canada Computers.

On the TL-WR802N,

It's 'next model' name-sake of the venerable TL-WR702N*, minus the oh so
useful USB Host port... -_-;
It is completely different hardware though, not the same SoC and it
looks like the openwrt community is still getting their heads around it.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr802n

* TL-MR3020 is just a derivative of the TL-WR702N with hardware buttons,
and an extra PCB antenna, and larger flash chip.

So yeah, can't say anything about TL-WR802N other then it's half the
price of the TL-MR3020. But the TL-MR3020 has worked well for me in the
past.