[GTALUG] dual-NIC tiny PC [was Re: Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC; ]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Aug 11 23:28:55 EDT 2016

| From: CLIFFORD ILKAY via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| (*) I intend to purchase a fanless tiny PC that has two Ethernet ports on the
| motherboard to replace the Pentium II 266 Compaq small form factor machine
| with 128M of RAM and 4GB of disk running IPCop, a dedicated firewall distro,
| that I have been running since March 2004 and repurpose the 32GB SSD as the
| drive for the new machine.

Good plan.

This has two NICs.  It may or may not have a fan.  It is cheap this week (and last
week), especially if you count the rebate:
<http://www.ncix.com/detail/zotac-zbox-ri323-barebone-mini-38-130690.htm>

The processor is only 1.1GHz.  Low power.  No AES-NI (instructions to
speed up crypto). Bare bones: you get to choose (and pay for) the OS,
the RAM, and the disk.