[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Wed Aug 10 15:26:26 EDT 2016

Hello Stewart,

Thanks for your message.

Please see my comments inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stewart C. Russell via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
To: <talk at gtalug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

> On 2016-08-09 09:35 AM, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk wrote:
>>
>> On the Windows XP PC that is going to be replaced by the new Linux
>> PC,
>> the DDS-3 DAT SCSI tape drive has died, that does backup duty for the
>> HDD. Died too soon by only a couple of months -- !@#$%^&*(!!
>
> Better to spend $90 on something like a WD 1TB My Passport Portable
> External Hard Drive
> <http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_213_602&item_id=089777>
> than faff with tape. DAT-style drives and media just seem to
> self-destruct after a while. So many of my friends in the music
> industry
> have found that their cherished "DAT masters" are unreadable.

OK. Having heard this advice enough times, I'm convinced.

Since I plan to use portable USB hard drives for backup on the new Linux
PC, I will proceed to acquire one and try it out as a temporary backup
device for the Windows XP PC, instead of the dead DDS-3 DAT tape drive.

* * *

I have dowloaded and installed SyncBackPro software, which is fully
Windows XP compatible.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/

I will use this to create backups on the new portable USB drive on the
Windows XP PC..

* * *
* * *

The WD 1TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive suggested by
Stewart, comes with a USB 3.0 interface. I have already specified a WD
HDD for the new Linux PC, so a WD portable USB drive would be my first
choice.

The WD portable USB 3.0 drive is downwards compatible with the USB 2.0
ports on the Windows XP PC.

* * *
* * *

I have ordered one WD 1TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive
(WDBGPU0010BBK) from amazon.ca.  Eventually this drive and two more,
will serve as the backup devices on the new Linux PC.

Thanks to GTALUG for (once again) teaching this old dog a new trick :)