[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Aug 9 16:28:30 EDT 2016

On 08/09/2016 04:15 PM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 08/09/2016 04:12 PM, Kevin Cozens via talk wrote:
>> I've given up on the use of tape. I use external hard drives for backup.
> You should always back up with tar to 9 track tape stands, the way the
> computer gods intended.  ;-)

And keep your audio recordings on 1"  reel to reel instrumentation
recorders like we did at Digital Recording.

On 4mm backups.
There was a customer who used a 4mm backup and backed up every night.

The one thing someone forgot to tell them was to replace the tapes.

After about 4 years the disk failed.

The tapes were transparent.

Guess how this story ended?

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||