[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Tue Aug 9 15:25:37 EDT 2016

Hello Alvin,

Thanks for your response.

Please see my comments inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alvin Starr" <alvin at netvel.net>
To: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng." <apetrie at aspetrie.net>; "GTALUG Talk"
<talk at gtalug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

> Tape drives are hard to come by these days.
> Have you thought about a USB drive for backup?

I do plan to use portable USB drives for backup on the new Linux PC.

I did consider getting the portable USB drives now, and using them for
backup on the existing Windows XP PC. However, I prefer not to mess
around with changing the backup method on the Windows XP PC, since I
plan to stop using it as soon as the new Linux PC is operational.

There are plenty of inexpensive used DDS-3 tape drives available e.g. on
eBay, and from other sources.

> Or a NAS box.
> There are several inexpensive 1 and 2 drive NAS enclosures that you
> can
> get to put on your local network.

As with the portable USB drive idea, I prefer not to complicate the
Windows XP setup, by attaching new devices.

<snip>

> It may be worth looking into getting the drive fixed.
> I believe that Memofix(http://www.memofix.com/) will repair tape
> drives.

Thanks for the tip !! I see they are a Canadian firm, so no
border-crossing complications.

I will investigate further.