[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Aug 9 09:46:39 EDT 2016

Tape drives are hard to come by these days.
Have you thought about a USB drive for backup?
Or a NAS box.
There are several inexpensive 1 and 2 drive NAS enclosures that you can
get to put on your local network.
Having network storage is always handy for things like running as a
media server.

It may be worth looking into getting the drive fixed.
I believe that Memofix(http://www.memofix.com/) will repair tape drives.

On 08/09/2016 09:35 AM, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk wrote:
> Greetings To GTALUG Members,
>
> A setback has occurred in my project to acquire a new Linux PC.
>
> On the Windows XP PC that is going to be replaced by the new Linux PC,
> the DDS-3 DAT SCSI tape drive has died, that does backup duty for the
> HDD. Died too soon by only a couple of months -- !@#$%^&*(!!
>
> Since it could still take a few months for me to complete the
> acquisition of and conversion to the new Linux PC, I am not going to
> risk operating the Windows XP PC without regular HDD backup for so long.
>
> So, I need to source a replacement tape drive for the Windows XP PC,
> before I can continue with acquisition of the new Linux PC.
>
> A soon as I have a replacement tape drive operating on the Windows XP
> PC, I will resume the Linux PC acquisition project, and complete the
> revisions to
> the specification of components, per advice from GTALUG members.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve
>
> * * *
>
> Steve Petrie, P.Eng.
>
> ITS-ETO Consortium
> Oakville, Ontario, Canada
> (905) 847-3253
> apetrie at aspetrie.net

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||