[GTALUG] cheap Raspberry Pi, today only

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Aug 4 15:43:15 EDT 2016

Agreed that the Newegg deal is great for those who can take advantage.
One small warning -- the RPi3 recommends a 2.5A USB power adapter which is
more than iPad chargers (and WAY more than most cellphone chargers) put out.

What I bought at Pi-Hut was a kit that included the "official" RPi power
supply
<https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-power-supplies/products/official-raspberry-pi-universal-power-supply>
(with the added benefit of four interchangeable international plugs).

The case that comes part of the kit
<https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-cases/products/raspberry-pi-case>
is wonderfully straightforward and simple (though I will always have a soft
spot for the hand-done ones Scott made some years back.

On 4 August 2016 at 21:25, Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 2016-08-04 01:26 PM, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> > I'm very happy with the RPi 3 that I bought recently from
> > https://thepihut.com/ (taking advantage of the post-Brexit drop in the
> > pound ;-) )
>
> Their £30 is still ~ $51*, then you add shipping and the odds-on chance
> of getting hit with $16 of sales tax plus fee.
>
> Still, would be a good day to buy one, as there was just an official
> announcement of booting without an SD card today:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-booting-part-i-usb-
> mass-storage-boot/
>
>  Stewart
>
> *: though that price may include the UK's 20% sales tax, as it's almost
> always included in advertised prices

Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH

Em: evan at telly dot org