[GTALUG] Does the new Win10 update bork dual-boot systems?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Aug 4 10:58:50 EDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 12:33:01AM +0200, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/windows-10-anniversary-update-delete-partition
>
> Scary stuff if true. Does anyone here know more?

Mine had no issues upgrading.

Running legacy bios boot mode, not UEFI.

Now if you do a fresh install and you boot in the opposite mode from how
your disk is partitioned, so boot legacy with a GPT disk or boot UEFI with
a legacy MBR disk, then I would not be surprised if the windows installer
wipes out the entire disk since it wants to create a new partition table
of the "correct" kind.  Of course if that is what happened, I doubt it
is new to this release of windows.

--
Len Sorensen