[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 2 11:45:53 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 11:31:55AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Well, I like HDMI/DVI.  I have a HDMI & USB KWM switch that works well.
> My desktop has a DVI port and my notebook computer, along with a Rogers
> cable box, have HDMI.  A simple HDMI/DVI adapter works well between the
> KVM and desktop computer.

Unfortunately HDMI and DVI have severe limitations for resolution of
the screen.  If things actually supported modern HDMI specs, it would
be less of an issue, but PCs often don't.

But given the trivial cable needed to conenct displayport to DVI or HDMI,
it's not really a problem to use legacy equipment.

Well except dual-link DVI.  That is a problem.  But HDMI can't do that
either (since HDMI type B connector never seems to have cought on).

--
Len Sorensen