[GTALUG] FCC "forces" TP-Link to enable open source on their router(s)

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Tue Aug 2 11:29:31 EDT 2016

On 08/01/2016 10:19 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | The limits might be hard coded elsewhere.
>
> No, they are not.  That's the problem:

I was speaking in general terms, as I don't know that device to speak
about it specifically.  However, there have long been ways to set
something at manufacture, that cannot be changed later, or at least not
easily.  So, if something is bound for U.S., it would have those limits
set at the factory.  I recall reading, many years ago, about a
programmable ROM that had one bit, which when set, would prevent any
further changes to the contents.  There are other methods that could be
used to similarly protect such settings.