[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 2 10:51:25 EDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 03:12:51PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Business desktops often seem to support VGA and DisplayPort.  DVI is
> disappearing faster than VGA and HDMI isn't generally supported.  This
> might affect the choice of monitor.

Well I like displayport.  Most machines have DP+ which means a passive
cable or adapter will give you DVI (single link) or HDMI or even VGA
if you need it and it takes a lot less space, and if you want something
highres and good, displayport can handle that too.  My laptop has mini
displayport, and I carry a minidisplayport to hdmi cable in my laptop
bag along with an hdmi to dvi dongle.  That covers most things I ever
need to connect to.  I suppose having a mini displayport to normal
displayport cable could be handy but strangely I haven't encountered
any displayport devices to connect to yet other than at home (where I
do have that cable).

Dual link DVI for older large screens that predate displayport are the
only real problem.

--
Len Sorensen