[GTALUG] GTALUG - BUILDING DEBIAN 8 PC TO REPLACE WIN XP PC

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 09:19:26 EDT 2016

On Aug 1, 2016 12:48 PM, "Ivan Avery Frey via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 10:58 Steve Petrie,
>
> snip
>>

>> I do realize that the DSL modem provides a dial up "line" in parallel
>> with the high-bandwidth DSL link.
>>
>> However, there is still a difference between: 1. a telephone link over a
>> twisted pair of physical copper wires, and 2. an emulation of a
>> telephone link, over a DSL modem.
>

> The DSL modem does not provide a dial up "line" in parallel with the DSL
link. DSL operates over the same wires as the traditional phone service.
One does need a small filter to prevent the DSL signals from interfering
with the use of the telephone link.

The modem also bands traffic with unused tones as well as using the low
pass filter on the line. Tone 1 = POTS, Tone 2-5 guard against cross talk.

The initialization handshake chooses the optimum frequency's for data based
on the signal to noise ratio as determined by a variety of physical
factors. The better the SNR the more bits in the mux-bucket.

List of tones and more may be found here.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm

Russell
Sent from mobile.