[GTALUG] UEFI adventures [was Re: Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC; ]

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 21:02:42 EDT 2016

On Aug 1, 2016 1:06 PM, "D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> | From: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | ----- Original Message ----- From: "o1bigtenor" <o1bigtenor at gmail.com>

<snip the Iliad>

> You really want to be able to do this stuff yourself so that you can
> recover from system failures.  What better way to learn than before
> you have anything important on your system?
>
> | To add complication, I would like, once the new PC is booting debian
Linux
> | from the HDD onto bare metal, to imrove performance by providing for
debian to
> | boot (mostly) from a "shadow" copy on the HDD, and then do all
subsequent
> | dynamic loading of debian components, from the SSD.

LSBinit which debian is now using, provides finer grained control of exit
status, I guess this is in part for better daisy chaining in runlevel
telemetry initialization.

Shadow booting. Sounds like a job for ILP & VLIW, but those 3.1 billion
transistors = $5000, that and limited PCI support keep that stuff out of my
realm.

> I generally consider my OS disposable.

My feelings as well. When I start afresh on a system I usually take it for
a configuration test drive before I clone the base. I think that's the one
habit I kept from my early M$ days.

So I keep it on the SSD.  That
> makes it much more resposive.  No backup: I can easily recreate it.
>
> I lean towards keeping my data on the HDD.  I don't do data-intensive
> things.  Backing it up is important.
>
> SSD failures seem to be more sudden that HDD failures.

Flakey power at my place keeps me from using SSD's internally. Maybe it's
time to hack the sub panel in my apt and do some line conditioning.

Russell
Sent from mobile.